illuminem Voices Submission Guidelines
illuminem Editorial Guidelines
At illuminem, we strive to provide our readers with the most comprehensive, accurate, and high-quality information related to sustainability, energy, climate change, and all related topics. To maintain our reputation as a leading source of information in this field, we ask that all writers and contributors adhere to the following editorial guidelines when creating content for our platform.
Published articles will be available exclusively on illuminem.com:
- If your post is published in our Illuminem Voices section, you cannot republish the article on any other website, including your own website or blogging platforms such as LinkedIn Pulse or Medium
- We do however encourage you to share the link with your network
- Please note that we generally cannot accept guest articles that have already been published on other platforms or websites
- We may consider republishing existing content on a case-by-case basis. If you would like to submit non-exclusive content, please share the link to the page where the content is currently hosted
To ensure consistency and readability across our articles, please adhere to the following structure:
- Abstract: Please include a short 30-80 word abstract at the top of your article that summarizes your article succinctly
- Introduction: Begin with a brief introduction that engages the reader and provides an overview of the topic being discussed. This should be concise and enticing, setting the stage for the rest of the article
- Body: Divide the main content into clear, logical sections using headings and subheadings. Each section should address a specific aspect of the topic, providing relevant information, data, and analysis
- Conclusion: Summarize the key points of the article and offer any concluding thoughts or recommendations. This section should wrap up the content and provide a sense of closure for the reader
- Length: Please aim for a length between 800 and 1,500 words, though we might accept shorter or longer pieces
Headings and Subheadings
Headings and subheadings are essential for breaking up content and making it easier for readers to navigate. Follow these guidelines for creating effective headings and subheadings:
- Style: Use clear, concise language that accurately represents the content within each section
- Capitalization: Use sentence case for all headings and subheadings
- Paragraphs: Include at least 5 sub-headings in your article (our experience shows that the optimal number is in fact around 8-12 depending on article length)
Images & Graphs
Images are extremely efficient in conveying messages or illustrating narratives. There are two types of images: banners & inside-article images/graphs. Please follow the below guidelines to ensure an optimal experience for the user:
- Banner image: Please share separate image files of high-quality pictures in landscape format (resolution 1080p) taken from a stock website or with the express permission of the owner
- Inside-content images: Please share separate image files of high-quality pictures & graphs in landscape format (resolution 1080p)
Citations and External Links
Citing sources and including external links is crucial for establishing credibility and providing readers with additional resources for further exploration. Adhere to the following guidelines when citing sources and including external links:
- Sources: Always cite the original source of any data, statistics, or quotes used in your article. This includes research studies, news articles, and other reputable sources
- Links: Use in-text citations in the form of hyperlinks, embedding the link within the relevant text
- Authority: External links should be relevant, authoritative, and directly related to the content being discussed
By following these editorial guidelines, we can maintain the high quality and credibility that our readers expect from illuminem. If you have any questions or concerns about these guidelines, please reach out to your editor for clarification.
Thank you for your contributions to illuminem. We look forward to creating impactful and informative content together.
- We reserve the right to refrain from publishing content that does not adhere to our guidelines
- illuminem editors reserve the right to edit the title and content of any piece for readability & clarity. For any material modification, we will first seek the permission of the author
- illuminem has never published commercial content without clearly informing our community. Please contact our corporate engagement team for any information regarding sponsored content.
Examples of articles adhering to guidelines
- Carlos Terol, Democracy and systemic change: why we have more power than we think
- Matt Cyrankiewicz, The AI counterattack to climate change
- Wim Naudé, Seven reasons why degrowth is no solution to the ecological crisis
- Armida Salsiah Alisjahbana, Race to zero in Asia and the Pacific: our hopes in the climate fight
- Erin Remblance, Climate action: the time for incrementalism is over
- Mark Workman, Bringing society together around the creation of a UK carbon removal sector
Are you interested in becoming a featured author on illuminem? Please send us a message at: https://illuminem.com/contact. Tell us a bit about yourself and what you’d like to write about.