background image

Two small Sicilian islands test decentralised green energy

author image

By illuminem briefings

· 2 min read

illuminem summarizes for you the essential news of the day. Read the full piece here in Euronews or enjoy below

🗞️ Driving the news: The small Sicilian islands of Favignana and Lampedusa are testing 'microgrids' for energy production based on renewables and blockchain technology
• The system, called BloRin, allows users to produce, share, and sell solar energy, turning them into both consumers and producers of power

🔭 The context: Fifteen private individuals are currently piloting this model, which was conceptualized in 2017 by a team of researchers at the University of Palermo
• The model provides instant clarity in consuming, managing, and coordinating with energy distributors

🌎 Why does it matter for the planet: As the world seeks to transition from fossil fuels to renewable energy sources, initiatives like BloRin offer a decentralized model for energy production and consumption

⏭️ What's next: The project, largely funded by the EU's Cohesion Policy, continues to be tested and developed, with four energy companies also contributing funds
• The integration of ICT, including a real-time app for energy production and consumption, and the exploration of bidirectional charging stations, point to future innovations in the renewable energy sector

💬 One quote: "The energy that I can produce using photovoltaic panels and that I don't consume, I can sell on the grid and I can give to my neighbour or to someone who belongs to the same blockchain. The more of us there are, the more we save." (Vincenzo Tenerello, SEA)

📈 One stat: The total budget for BloRin is nearly €2 million, with 86.69% provided by the EU's Cohesion Policy and the remaining 13.31% supplied by associated energy companies

Click for more news covering the latest on Green Tech

Did you enjoy this illuminem voice? Support us by sharing this article!
author photo

About the author

illuminem's editorial team - providing you with concise summaries of the most important sustainability news of the day.

Follow us on Linkedin, Twitter​ & Instagram

Other illuminem Voices

Related Posts

You cannot miss it!

Weekly. Free. Your Top 10 Sustainability & Energy Posts.

You can unsubscribe at any time (read our privacy policy)